Rooms in my place...pages

Jun 10, 2010

Relaxation or Wasted Evening?

I have not done one productive thing this evening since I got home. Well, I take that back, made a few changes on a website I maintain, but those took less than 3 minutes to complete. Other than that, nothing. I guess I think I'm on vacation or something. I have a to-do list so long, it's actually scary.

Still waiting on a picture order to come in. Guess when you order custom products and frames, those take a wee bit longer. Poor client must think they'll never ever see their cherished moments in living color. Well, since it's been a series of miscommunication with this client after another, I'm actually giving more stuff to them than the original contract called for. But, through this all, I've definitely learned a lesson, courtesy of my friendly banker friend. Never, ever discount your services. People will pay for what they truly want, but if you give away the goods, they won't buy any more than you offer them as an incentive. He's right. All the time, energy and effort that goes into getting prepared for the session, lugging all the gear necessary for the session to the session, driving to the session, unloading what is needed for the session, setting up for the session, taking the pictures during the session, packing up after the session, driving back from the session, backing up the images from the card(s) to either disk or external hd from the session, importing the images into both LR & PSCS4 to edit the pics from the session, editing the pics from the session (to include fixing blemishes, cloning out things that shouldn't be in the background or on the subject of a particular pics), weeding out the won't ever be shown pics from the session, preparing the pics for display in online gallery, also saving pics (already edited) in correct format - ready for print ordering - on another disk or external hd, emailing client with update on timeframes and potential setbacks (if any), calling client to set viewing appointment for images selected to show client, packing up lappy & external hd/dvd for meeting with client, driving to meet client, bringing out lappy and client's file or portfolio, setting up lappy to begin presentation, going through all of the pics because client wants to see other options (even if it's like 900 images), finally getting client to choose images they want printed, taking notes on a few minor changes to final printed image client wants, packing lappy & external hd/disk back up to leave meeting, driving back home after meeting, unloading everything needed to begin placing order for prints, making few (or many) adjustments client desires, placing order for prints, scheduling more sessions from emails/voicemails received while out with one client, missing fave shows on tv, missing time with family, rushing in to kids room to show my face before they drift off to sleep (one is inevitably already fast asleep), checking email for final time before hitting the sack....yeah, banker friend is absolutely correct.

DO NOT DISCOUNT, UNDERCUT OR SELL YOURSELF SHORT OR CHEAPER THAN YOU DESERVE. YOU DO A LOT AND SHOULD CHARGE AND BE PAID FOR ALL THAT IS DONE.

I hear ya my friend. I won't ever again. I mean it too. Too much at stake to be a softy when it comes to my time and talent. You have to pay to play. I had to pay to play with the equipment I use during a session, the car I drive to get to sessions, the internet connection I use to maintain a website and blog, the cell phone bill to be able to receive calls for sessions or orders or general information, the software I use to edit images, the many actions, presets, textures, templates, etc...used on the edits, the electricity to power my lappy to use LR & PSCS4. So, it costs me lots upfront before a session ever begins, why should I offer discounts. Thanks, my friend, you were a great resource from an unexpected source for me on yesterday. I'm grateful and know that the conversation was directed by Him.

Now I feel a little, no a lot better, about coming home and relaxing....nothing wasted tonight, instead there's been rejuvenation of mind, spirit and determination. Looking forward to moving forward in the right direction, surrounded by people with my best interest at heart and those that actually care and support me.

Now, if you're one of the few that have been offered something for nothing from me, please curtail the attitudes. You are on my to-do list, but not at the very top. You're getting something that's costing me a whole lot more than it cost you. So, no need to be impatient or to ring my phone too many times, you'll get what I said you will....in my time. It's free, be thankful for that.

Well, another day has embarked upon me as I composed this post so I now must prepare my person for a full day that will begin in 5.5 short hours. Night all. Sleep well, dream vividly, and be true to yourself at all times. What you do and have to offer is valuable, don't let anyone or anything cheapen it for you, not even your own self.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Listen to AndiVanPhotogs Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Andi Van Photography's Blog Headline Animator