Rooms in my place...pages

Aug 18, 2010

Why I Needed To Be Where I Was

For the past 3 years, I've accompanied the youth group from my church on a summer mission retreat just 2 hours from our home church. Normally each year, I'm very excited about this particular trip because it's a time that we serve others without any thought of ourselves. We go to this city, camp out inside of a church much bigger than ours with other youth groups from around the Metro Atlanta area, Macon, GA, other parts of south Georgia and Jacksonville, FL. We get up very early each morning (and I mean early for it not to be a real paying work day for me, but it's what God has called me to do) have a pretty decent breakfast, meetup with our crew leader and the rest of the crew and head out to homes of individuals that do not have the means to make the necessary repairs that their home requires to be suitable to live in. We mainly make repairs to the outside of the home so when others drive by it they can see somewhat of a new structure...fresh with new paint, roof, decks or porches, carpentry work and some of us take it upon ourselves to beautify other things that may not have been on our "to do list" for the home. It's all done with the utmost of care, love, giving, fun, dedication and God given strength to endure the extreme conditions we generally work in.

For the most part, complaints are few unless someone gets a bit too hot (won't call any names as to who may have been victim this year...let's just say I know the personal VERY well), lunch is provided, we get back to work, we finish our tasks and if we work together as God would have us to do, it's all done and complete in one day...which is awesome so there will be no need to come back a second day. We go to several different places to shower after a hard day's work (we do feel it later on, well mainly the adults feel it more, the kids are so resilient) then we head back to the host church to spend time with old and new friends alike or to simply relax before dinner and generally the most moving worship experiences ever. For this to be mainly for the youth, I do think we adults that accompany them get just as much, if not more, than they do on any given evening of worship. It's so different than what we experience at our own home church, which is not bad because we all love our home churches, but being in that environment, taking over nearly every free space in that church with sleeping bags, air mattresses, cots that look like real beds, tons of luggage, hair care products, games to play and camera gear for the photo enthusiasts.

But, for some reason this year, I wasn't as excited about going. I kept coming up with every reason why I shouldn't go from my car not working, to not wanting to leave my 17yr old home since he couldn't make his last official River of Life as a high school youth group member, to just needing time to relax if I was going to be taking time off work. However, God doesn't put us where we aren't needed when we are needed for no apparent reason. I made the trip, at His urging because He wouldn't let me out of it no matter how I tried. All the other counselors from our church that were to have come along, were unable to make it for one reason or another (very personal and necessary to be home reasons as well). So, I went. As is par for the course with our God, I was exactly where I needed to be at the time I needed to be there. Brian Loper was the speaker (has been since I've been going to this particular RoL for the past 3 yrs) and his first night's talk was perfectly crafted for me and some things that were going on in my home and family life at the time. God knew, as He always does, that I needed, must hear that message from Him delivered through Brian to begin a process that would cause more confusion, hurt, pain and just a sense of loss on so many levels, but in the end it turned out as it should and has since began a new process of my being more independent and confident in my own abilities to take care of and handle things in my life on my own, without the need for crutches that I have leaned on thinking I couldn't stand without them. It's not going to be easy, He never promised me that. He simply promised me that He'd be there with me every step of the way....if Iwanted Him to be.

Father, God, yes I most definitely want you and need you there with me guiding me and loving me through it all. Special thanks to a few special and wonderful kids from our youth group that opened up to not only me, but the entire group of kids in our youth and allowed themselves to be vulnerable, but also to gain a strength that only God can give. Moe, Sarah & AJ...you guys are wonderfully made by God, crafted to be dynamic forces for his kingdom as you grow and mature into the young ladies and gentleman that God has already started at the potter's wheel. I can't wait to see what beautiful pieces of God work you all turn out to be and glad to be there with you all along your journeys...on the path of life together.

Love to you all....and glory be to God for His infinite wisdom and constant prodding when I feel I can't go another step.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Listen to AndiVanPhotogs Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Andi Van Photography's Blog Headline Animator